Card Cabinet Sales Details
Sterling Memorial Library Card Cabinet Removal and Sale
The Cross Campus Library and portions of the Sterling Memorial Library basement and nave will soon undergo major renovation. Beginning after commencement this May and until the fall term begins in 2007, the CCL will close for a complete renovation of its two story underground facility. In the SML, the central staircase in the nave will be removed during this 15 month construction period, and the public areas of the basement (i.e. “Machine City”) will be renovated to add improved study areas.
This month, we begin the removal of free-standing cabinets from the SML nave that have housed catalog cards for several decades. The built-in cabinets in the nave are not affected. The Subject catalog cards have been archived as part of the university records retained by Manuscripts and Archives, and the Name & Title catalog cards will be relocated to a space, currently under construction in the SML basement, where researchers will be able to consult them. Some of the free-standing cabinets that housed the Subject catalog cards were removed from SML on Thursday, March 16, 2006. The empty cabinets have been taken to Yale University Traffic, Receiving and Stores (TR&S), where they are offered for sale until Thursday, April 13, 2006. Proceeds from the sale will be used to recover the costs of the move and temporary storage at TR&S.
If you are interested in purchasing one of these cabinets, please take note of the following:
- The sale will run from Friday, March 17 until Thursday, April 13, 2006.
- The cabinets must be purchased and picked up at TR&S, 100 John Murphy Drive, New Haven.
- TR&S hours of operation for this sale are 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. You must call TR&S at (203) 764-9308 to make an appointment to purchase and pick up a cabinet.
- Cabinet purchase will be on a first-come, first-served basis, based on how they are stored at TR&S. You will not be able to pick and choose a particular cabinet.
- Purchase is by check only, made out to Yale University.
- Please come prepared to pick up and leave with a cabinet at the time of purchase. They will not be able to hold any cabinet.
- You must provide your own moving vehicle and muscle to move the cabinets. Please note the dimensions below and plan appropriately. TR&S will not be able to assist you in these matters.
- The cabinets come in several sizes. Please note the following dimensions of the largest and the smallest cabinets:
- The smallest cabinet measures 33 inches by 18 inches and is 71 inches tall. It has 60 drawers (6 drawers across, 10 drawers down)
- The largest cabinet measures 41.25 inches by 17.5 inches and is 73 inches tall. It has 84 drawers (6 drawers across, 14 drawers down).
- Each cabinet weighs approximately 350 lbs.
- Price for each cabinet is $50.00
Please note that there will be another sale of about 60 freestanding card catalog cabinets by the end of the summer 2006, details to be announced. Please contact TR&S at (203) 764-9308 if you are interested in purchasing a cabinet, or Michael Colavolpe, Library Administrative Services, at (203) 432-8600 if you have questions about this sale.
Thank you for your patience during these upcoming months of changes in the Library.
Location: Yale Traffic, Receiving and Stores
Contact: Michael Colavolpe (203) 432-8600
© 2006 Yale University Library
Page Last Updated: 5/25/2013